In the unfortunate case of a motorcycling accident, Colorado motorcyclists and their passengers are proven to suffer disproportionately severe injuries. These motorcycling injuries not only require more expensive initial treatment, but also have a greater likelihood of requiring care that could last months or even years. Sadly, many of these motorcycling injuries will even result in permanent and lifelong disabilities. In addition to knowing the facts about common motorcycling injuries, it is important that Colorado Springs motorcyclists are aware of the need to retain specialized legal assistance in the event they are involved in a catastrophic Colorado Springs motorcycling accident.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The spectrum of injuries resulting from a motorcycle crash is often very different than those that occur during other traffic accidents. These motorcycling injuries often require specialized treatment and care, and have effects that persist for months, if not years:
- Concussion and brain damage – Head strikes are much more frequent in motorcycle accidents, usually from hitting the road surface or objects at the roadside. Helmet use is proven to greatly diminish such injuries. Unfortunately, even using a helmet does not prevent some traumatic brain injuries from occurring.
- Broken joints – Breaks of the pelvis and shoulder are the most common, and usually occur from striking impediments after the initial collision.
- Skin burns and damage – So-called “road rash”, or the scrapes, tears, and cuts that result from sliding across the road surface can lead to permanent scarring and disability. Use of protective riding gear can help mitigate this type of injury.
- Cosmetic facial trauma – This most commonly occurs from an impact against the handlebars or sliding across the road surface. Use of a full-face helmet can reduce the occurrence of facial injury.
- Localized paralysis – Also known as “biker’s arm”, riders have an increased likelihood of suffering lasting diminished motor function in the arms due to permanent nerve damage.
Specialized Legal Help for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Colorado riders, who have suffered injuries in a motorcycle crash, need an attorney who is specialized in the practice of motorcycle law as well as personal injury law. Motorcycle accidents are subject to specific statutes and regulations, and a generalized vehicular law attorney will not have the experience or expertise to offer competent counsel. Additionally, since specific laws vary from state to state ,Colorado Springs riders need an attorney who is familiar with local laws and regional jurisdictional procedures. Personal injury cases are time-sensitive, and any delay in seeking legal help could affect a rider’s ability to reach a successful outcome for claims of compensation.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident, Colorado Personal Injury Lawyer Andrew C. Bubb will review your case for free and discuss with you all of your legal options. In some cases you may be able to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. Call 1 (800) 773-4492 today or contact us through our website’s contact form.
We also serve clients in Lakewood and Golden, CO.